RE: Column View

Tristan O'Tierney wrote:
> My interets lie strongly in interface design and
> usability. I can show why it would be a worthwhile
> cause to implement such a feature.
>
> First, take a look at these two screenshots:
> http://www.otierney.net/images/columnview/tree.png
> http://www.otierney.net/images/columnview/column.png

Personally, the column view confused me greatly when I saw it in the MacOS X
file selection dialog. (I don't think it was in the regular finder in the
verions (10.1 maybe) of MacOS X that I used, or I didn't know how to
activate it). I think part of my confusion was that I didn't see the
horizontal scroll bar at first, so I had no clue what was going on.

I'd love to hear about some user studies. If Apple did them then I hope
there is some information about them out there. Personally, I don't believe
that Apple do user studies anymore, or they don't do them like they used to.

Even if it's useful, I'm sceptical that it is useful enough to justify the
complication of yet another mode of Nautilus operation.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net