Re: Column View

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:02:07PM -0700, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > But you are only looking at the short term. If a developer that is new
> > to GNOME spends time developing an application that may be deemed
> > useless for the official GNOME platform he will more likely to
> > understand GNOME technologies and be able to contribute in a
> > meaningful manner in the future. Someone who gets shot down at their
> > first attempt may not bother to learn the GNOME technology and move on
> > to a different project.
> >
> > John
>
> Yes we should be encouraging, but we are also adults with responsibility
> for the future of our software ( when I say "we" I probably mean "the
> real developers" ;), and any idea needs to stand up to the rigour of
> peer review. Mr O'Tierney is welcome to develop his patches, but we
> cannot be obliged to include it if we dont agree that the changes are
> beneficial. There is nothing wrong with debating the merits of any idea
> -- if its a good one, it will eventually win out. Also we havent even
> gotten to the point of how feasible it would be technically.

I am not arguing against debating the merits of the contribution.
Technically this is very feasible -- it has been completed in many
different file manager projects before.

> Let me put it to you this way: if a co-worker came up to you and said
> she had a great idea for a hair-style she'd like to try on you, would
> *you* let her cut your hair without discussing the desirability of doing
> so?? Dont want to discourage hair-style innovation do you? ;)

This is flawed, giving me a hair cut is doing something semi-permanent to me
that would take my time to repair. Submitting a patch doesn't suffer
from that.

John