Re: some activities in spatial nautilus

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 00:31, Alan wrote:
> I'm trying to use the spatial nautilus in day to day activities and came
> across something I'm not sure how is supposed to be dealt with.  I've
> got a very simple task, copy a screenshot image to the filesystem of a
> remote server so it can be accessed by apache.
>
> As far as I can see, with spatial nautilus (with the default buttons on
> the desktop, ie: computer, trash, application shortcuts) is as follows:
>
>  1 open my computer icon
>  2 navigate to my home directory (where the image is)
>  3 right click on a random folder somewhere in $HOME and choose browse
>    folder
>  4 use the location bar in the "classic" nautilus window that pops up
>    and enter in ssh://user host
>  5 navigate to the website/images directory
>  6 drag and drop image across
>
> This seems a bit excessive.  I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but
> to me this seemed the "most logical".

The existance or non-existance of a home icon on the desktop is still
open for debate, which would make this one important step shorter, at
the cost of having the desktop->home->desktop loop.

However, for the real solutions:

solution 1:
 first: File->Connect to Server, enter the ssh stuff in the dialog
 then (given the current desktop icons):
  1. open computer
  2. open home
  3. open ssh location from computer or desktop
  4. navigate to the right location on ssh
  5. dnd file from home dir to right location

Solution 2:
 1 & 2 - the same
 3. File->open location (or ctrl-l), enter ssh addres
 4. dnd

Solution 3 (not implemented in spatial nautilus yet, but planned)
 1 & 2 - same
 3. "open the ssh location from your favourites menu"
 4. dnd

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scarfaced devious master criminal possessed of the uncanny powers of an
insect. She's a mistrustful tempestuous college professor with her own daytime
radio talk show. They fight crime!