eog-image-viewer problems

I'm running nautilus --no-desktop as a file browser. When I am viewing
images every so often eog-image-viewer runs away with all the
memory. It uses over 550 mb of ram before I kill it. I am unable to
find anything useful with the eog-image-viewer memory problems and
simalar seaches on google.  I realize that this isn't necessarily a nautilus
problem but that perhaps others using nautilus have seen this and know
of the fix or a work around.  I only use eog-image-viewer through
nautilus.  eog --version reports Gnome eog 2.4.0 and nautilus
--version reports Gnome nautilus 2.4.0

Thanks for your time.

Mojo