RE: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

> > I'm reviving this thread because:
> > 1 There seems to be a lot of opposition to
> >   1.1 using ctrl instead of the ususual shift "modifier
> key" for this.
> >   1.2 removing the ctrl-alt-arrow switch-workspace metacity feature,
> >       instead of removing the shift-alt-arrow move-to-workspace
> >       feature.
> > - I think that the problem of shift-double-click changing the
> >   selection is not a big problem. The Mac OS already has
> this feature
> >   and this problem and I think hardly anybody ever noticed
> it before.
> >   I think "opening many items and closing the single parent
> window at
> >   the same time" is not a common operation. It's more
> common that you
> >   want to close the parent window when navigating to an
> item, opening
> >   one folder each time, and that will not have this problem.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> What about single click mode?

I guess the problem there is that single-shift-click is used for range
selection, so there can be no "shift means and close the parent". Ctrl has
the same problem, because it is also used for range selection.

I'd like to just say that there is no such feature when using single-click
mode, though you can still use the shift+arrow keyboard navigation, and you
can still use the "close all parents" menu item. Having a click as well as a
double-click should be expected to allow a few more features.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net