Re: What about these (old/annoying) bugs ?

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 09:12, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:19, Olaf Frączyk wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 15:50, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > > It depends a bit on why its on another filesystem. If its on a cdrom,
> > > floppy, ftp site, ssh: location etc i think people would be pretty
> > > surprised if a drag by default modified the source location.
> > My suggestion was for local hard-drive filesystems. I thought it was
> > clear. So everything what is remote or removable should be "copy".
>
> Next question: Given the unix unified filesystem tree. How do you know
> if a filesystem is remote or removable?

For remote filesystems:
I think we should distinguish if the filesystem is mounted by
administrator somewhere in main filesystem tree and if the filesystem is
accessible for the user via smb:// or nfs:// etc.

So:
1 - remote/local mounted by administrator into tree , writable - action
= MOVE
2 - remote/local mounted by administrator into tree, read-only - action
= COPY
3 - remote/local mounted by users into tree (not very common situation)
- action = same as mounted by administrator
4 - accessible by smb://, nfs:// etc. - action = COPY
5 - local removable whoever mounts it - action = COPY

How to distinguish between removable and non-removable:
For SCSI devices you can get it from device - INQUIRY command - take a
look at scsiinfo , don't know if ATAPI/ATA devices provide this info.
And AFAIR, to get this info from SCSI you need to be root.

An ugly solution (but I don't know any other reliable) could be to have
a file administered by administrator with listed removable
devices/mountpoints. Or to have it in gconf.

Regards,

Olaf