Re: Selecting files through the location bar

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Raphael Bosshard wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Before I enter a feature-request into Bugzilla, I wanted to hear your
> oppinions about the following "productivity enhancement" feature.
>
> Midnight Commander allows the user selecting files through expressions,
> a similar mechanism does not exist in nautilus. As far as I know.
>
> What about using the location bar as a filter?
> I propose either:
> - select the matching files
> or
> - display only matching files. This would also allow muli-directory
> statements like /home/*/*.mp3 (regex may be to compex)
>
> What do you think?

While this would be nice it also affects the semantics of typed uris a
lot. Files may contain "*" in the name for instance. These would then need
to be escaped by the user etc. "*" and other globs may also have specific
meanings in other uri-schemes than file:.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal native American hairdresser haunted by an iconic dead
American confidante She's a wealthy streetsmart archaeologist fleeing from a
Satanic cult. They fight crime!