Disabling the 'standard' desktop icons

Hello everyone
I'm new to the list and to linux so I apologize in advance for any ignorance.

I also would like to be able to disable the default desktop icons, while keeping the functionality of the desktop.  So I looked into the options available

"show desktop - using default" - great for a beginner or someone who is afraid of tinkering without a safety net
"show desktop - using home folder" - wouldn't be bad other than a huge clutter, which doesn't seem to be available in latest release
maybe if there was a third option added to the next release
"show desktop - user defined folder" - avoids the clutter and default icons

I even tried downloading the current cvs to see if I could understand enough of the code to change the "home folder" option, but I'm newer to programming than I am to linux.

KWaygood