Re: How useful is manual layout in the icon view?

Hi Mark -

I agree that it is not entirely useful, but I don't think we should
eliminate it until we have a solid "Snap to Grid" implementation which
would allow users to move their icons around to an order they choose yet
still maintain a sense of aesthetic pleasure...

-jag

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 14:41, MArk Finlay wrote:
> Manual layout is obviously vital on the desktop, but is it really
> necessary in the file manager? Does anyone really manually lay out
> their icons in a file manager window?
>
> The reason I ask is because we have had discussion about removing the
> "Would you like to switch to manual layout" dialog that most of us
> see almost every day. A lot of people have expressed a desire to
> remove this dialog, but that doesn't mean that they want nautilus
> to automatically switch to manual layout, more that they don't
> want to see that dialog when they change their mind about a dnd
> operation.
>
> So I would propose that we remove manual layout mode in the file
> manager all together, unless anyone has any compelling reasons to
> keep it.
Joshua Adam Ginsberg	       Cellphone: 970.749.8530
Rice University '02	       Email: joshg myrealbox com
St. Mark's School of Texas '98
safety." - Benjamin Franklin