Re: Does nautilus hang if an NFS server is unreachable?

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 04:59, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 18:20, Peter O'Shea wrote:
> > Can accesses for other servers be put into separate threads, so that if
> > a remote server goes down, the rest of nautilus is still active and I
> > can use my own desktop?
>
> 	They are already in separate threads. The problem is - that due to the
> Unix API, it's not possible to know that a file is on a remote server -
> without doing a blocking stat that kills the thread.

Isn't it possible to get a good idea if the file is on a remote server,
by looking at the mnttab (mtab in Linux, I think)?  If a file is located
on a mount point that has a server name (other than the local) in front
of it in the table, it's remote.  Then before checking the file
directly, you could ping the server and see if it's answering?

Bad idea?

--
Peter O'Shea, Staff Product/Test Engineer
Analog Devices - Precision Converters / Digital Audio Group