short_list_application_ids_for_novice_user_level key

For the System Admin Guide, I'm trying to document the
short_list_application_ids_for_novice_user_level key in .keys files. As
far as I can tell, this key specifies the application to use when a file
of this MIME type is opened
by a user. You specify one or more applications, in order of priority.
The applications must also be registered in the application registry.

Is this correct? Is there an order of priority?