Re: .hidden files? what dos that mean?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:25:56PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Calum Benson">
>
> > On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 20:40, James Willcox wrote:
> >
> > > It's totally sweet.  You can create a file called ".hidden" in any
> > > directory, and in it list files that you don't want nautilus to show.
> >
> > A dead useful feature, but editing configuration files in a graphical file
> > manager?! :)  Couldn't we just have "Hide this file" and "Show hidden
> > files" menu options like Evo has for mail messages... consistency and all
> > that...?
>
> I think these are too ultra-special to be classed as "configuration files".

Not sure if you were being sarcastic and agreeing or disagreeing :)
However, I agree with Calum, a method to tag files as hidden or not and
then some sort of UI to allow the user to toggle between them would be
far more "professional" looking than saying "oh, just open up your
terminal window and edit this file".  Nautilus already takes information
and stores it in it's own special files (the directory/file comments,
thumbnails, etc), it only makes sense (to me anyway) to extend that
already existing paradigm a bit further.

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain