"New Folder" creates a directory

I don't often use Nautilus but sometimes do for my multimedia directories. I
just tried to create a new directory and discovered only "New Folder". It
appears that it creates a directory, so I'm just wondering why the word
"Folder" is used where "Directory" would have been less confusing. Or does
this not create a directory but instead a "folder" (whatever that is)?

Thanks for the help. Please CC replies to me.

--
Mike Burns <netgeek speakeasy net> <http://netgeek.ws>
Free your mind and your ass will follow.