Re: Nautilus desktop icons and metacity

I'd have to say that I feel that the icons being on the left feels more
natural and hence usable (at least to me) because

(a) every previous desktop i've used has done it that way.
(b) i'm right handed and moving the mouse away from my body feels less
"deliberate" some how.
(c) i'm a westerner and read left to right, so my eyes are naturally
drawn to the left.

(a) is a questionable usability argument. Basically tradition vs
innovation, or previous knowledge vs intrinsic logic. So we can strike
that I guess.

(b) is right hander centric... but so is the world so I imagine left
handers are very much used to thinking from a right hand persons point
of view (much more than a right hander thinking from a left handers
anyway).

(c) I guess is the biggie. Perhaps default configuration of layout
should be an localisation issue...

While I agree that the icons should be unobstructed wherever possible, I
think that shifting them to the right would be confusing and
counterproductive. In any case, the simplest approach other than
shifting icons around would be to change metacity to open windows on the
right hand side, or to avoid desktop icons when possible.