Re: Nautilus desktop icons and metacity

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 13:17, Darryl Rees wrote:

> Why not?
>
> It's useless on my desktop when an app is maximized or my desktop is
> otherwise obscured.
>
> I think I should be able to drag it onto my panel like I can any other
> desktop 'launcher'. Mac users deletes stuff by dragging onto the trash
> can, I imagine they'd love to have it visible all the time!

I think you should be able to drag a launcher for it onto your panel if
you want to, but the panel shouldn't be its default location because
panel icons don't have labels like desktop icons do, and those labels
are useful (for instance the trashcan's one tells you how many items are
in the trash).

> OK, atleast that got a reaction. Nobody commented on my main proposal to
> put cdrom/floppy/hotplug device icons in the system tray?

I wouldn't mind a notification area applet which informed you of changes
to hotplugged devices, but again that shouldn't be where their icons go
by default. Many of those devices will have identical icons, and icons
on the panel or in the notification area don't have labels, so how would
you be able to tell them apart?

I think the desktop is the sensible place for these kinds of things, and
there is a well understood convention that that is where such things go.
I just think we need to think about how to avoid covering desktop icons
the minute even a single window is opened. Of course it will be
unavoidable for maximised apps, or for when you have hundreds of windows
open, but I think that in many cases it can be avoided.

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com          www.dzr-web.com