Re: Some Ideas about Previewing and Multiple Media handling in Nautilus [was: Killing Views Part 2 ... ]

> there's no need to reinvent this... Second, while I'd love for the
> preview to be "tethered" to the file in question, how do you propose to
> do this? The sidebar of Nautilus is probably too small and has other
> uses besides preview that we don't want to preclude (e.g. tree). A
> tooltip would obfuscate the rest of your Nautilus window.

Sounds like gtk needs os/x "drawers" :)

No, seriously, from the playing I've done with os/x the concept of a
drawer
(http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/AHIGWindows/chapter_5_section_16.html
for those who don't know what I'm talking about) works really well and
would be a neat addition to the GTK array of widgets (assuming apple
hasn't patented the heck out of it of course).

Using a drawer in this situation would allow you to open it or make it
active (via the toolbar button) and have it preview any file clicked on.
The drawer wouldn't impeed the operations of nautilus, and if it had an
auto hide mode of some sort, wouldn't even be an ugly drawer sticking
out all the time, but only pop out when needed (ie: preview button
toggled on and file clicked on, or file moused over for NN seconds, or
whatever).

The other solution would be something like what Konq does where you have
a tooltip that is small at first but if you keep the mouse over the file
icon for more than NN seconds it gives you a "bigger" preview.
Personally I don't like this approach for a number of reasons, but as
this hasn't been mentioned before I won't got into why, as I'm sure that
this isn't an option anyway :)

My $0.02

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain