Re: Nautilus' context menu

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 08:36, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > My logic is that the obvious options (e.g. top level menus and other easily
> > accessible controls) should _only_ do the absolutely important things, and
> > not more. Advanced functionality should only be accessible via other methods
> > that users will discover as they go along (or when they decide to actually
> > read a manual).
>
> Good software doesn't need a manual ;) But appart from that I agree

Growl.  Remind me to tell you why I hate that statement some time.

> > 3. Get rid of Rename, and please adopt the Mac and BeOS way of renaming a
> > file. Click once (or slowly twice) and rename the file.
>
> Go no - please god no. Getting rid of rename isn't so bad because you
> can rename from the properties dialog - but that slow click thing:
> a. is useless if you use single click mode, which is a supported feature
> of nautilus
> b. is the biggest newbie pitfall i've ever encountered. I've seen a lot
> of people loose documents because of this, and i've seen a lot of
> people's blood pressure rise because of it.

Agreed.  For the benefit of those who don't spend their life reading
mailing lists, I'll point out that Nautilus used to have this, um,
"feature" of slowly clicking twice to rename.  It pissed people off.
Frankly, I don't see any reason to have this.  Anybody who argues that
it's faster than selecting Rename from the menu should promptly be told
to use F2.

--
Shaun