Re: Issues with Upgraded nautilus-cd-burner

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 16:12, Sam Williams wrote:
> First, the problem I have experienced is within several Redhat 7.3
> machines that had been running ximian gnome 1.4. When I installed the
> 9.0 upgrade everything seemed to go fine. There were some issues that I
> believe occurred because of library version differences between the
> older ximian and newer RedHat. My last problem concerns
> nautilus-cd-burner. It refuses to run.
>
> When I insert a blank cd into a burner it is recognized and I get the
> burn:/// window. I can then drag and drop to my hearts content. When I
> tell it to burn it just sits there. If I try to run it from the
> commandline I can actually capture a "segmentation fault" message with
>  same behaviors. The problem doesn't seem to exist for
> root. Root seems perfectly capable of burning cds with this method.
> Also, other programs such as xcdroast work fine.

This was a memory handling bug in nautilus-cd-burner. It should now be
fixed.

> MY questions:
> 1) how do you troubleshoot an application like this?
> 2) does it drop any diagnostic messages into any logfiles that can be
> parsed and studied?
> 3) what about the application is permission sensitive? How can I see
> this? Is there any installation, verification tool that looks at
> permissions?
> 4) Why doesn't RedHat or gnome provide any suggestions in the
> documentation on troubleshooting these problems? I know the assumption
> that everything will work is great but what happens when it doesn't?

You debug this app like any other app, using gdb or whatever tools you
like, and a lot of patience.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a globe-trotting ninja hairdresser from the Mississippi delta. She's a
green-fingered bisexual Hell's Angel from beyond the grave. They fight crime!