Re: burn://, system:// whatmore://

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 10:17, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 08:30, Miguel Angelo Rozsas wrote:
> > Hi There !
> >
> > I am really new to GNOME world. I just move from KDE, after getting XD2.
> > I just learn about burn://,  system://, applications:// and fonts://
> > (the protocol-like string to be typed in the Nautilus location bar)
> >
> > I would like to know what other "protocols" can I use with nautilus ?
> > I searched the help, man pages, without success...
>

> I asked this question a while ago and the best advice I got was to look
> at the files in /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> --Ben

This is a real problem that needs to be addressed. This isnt the first
time someone has asked this question.

The good news is that thanks to Jürg Billeter and Alexander Larsson, (
et al. ) there is a partial solution coming in time for Gnome 2.4. There
will be an a "Multi Rooted" Tree view, where x:// will appear as an item
in the side panel, with the ability to manually add and remove VFS
modules. Hopefully someone brilliant will devise a method to scan the
VFS modules so that no one will have to guess what capabilities their
system has.

FYI the "protocol" thing is called a Scheme in URI nomenclature.

Cheers,
Ryan