Real time icon info... what happened to it?

Hi everyone. A while back I installed gnome 2.2 on my RedHat system, and I noticed what I thought was the coolest feature. When I was copying or downloading a file to the desktop or another folder, The icon info (info displayed below the icons) showed the filesize in real time, ie, It could see the size rapidly increasing as I was copying it.

I just installed gentoo w/ gnome 2.2 and now this feature seems to be gone! Is there a setting somewhere? Has this been removed on purpose?

Thanks,
Ben Davis