Re: Possible solution to the spring loaded folders headache

FWIW, I have written something like this for GNOME 1, and I am in the
process of porting it to GNOME 2.  You can find the web site here:

https://www.zoned.net/~xkahn/file_menu_applet/

Note that the web page is slightly out of date since the CVS version
(GNOME 1 still) has things like image thumbnails.

Note that this is slightly different from your suggestion because the
directory tree is contained in an applet on the panel, not in the file
manager itself.  Still, it's very easy to use and I have (had?) a large
number of users.