Re: Is this meant to happen? (was Re: commit: AbiWord is now a Nautilus View.

Hi Martin,

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 18:19, Martin Sevior wrote:
> 	Thanks VERY much for this tip.

	I think there are probably two problems here; firstly, nautilus is not
de-merging all the menus when it's finished with the control - it should
be sending a de-activate signal of some sort - which is a long-running
problem.

	Secindly though - it's likely that you're leaking a BonoboObject
reference count. ie. not a GObject reference.

	It's worth reading libbonobo/doc/refcounting.txt to see what that
means. To track referencing problems it's perhaps best to re-build
libbonobo with --enable-debug=yes, and then:

	export BONOBO_DEBUG=refs

	and run your abiword component from the console.

	Often that _can_ help get some idea for the sequence that refs are
happening in on your object.

> Furthermore I get the desired behaviour of the destroy methods getting
> called upon closing the nautilus view if I do:
>
> g_object_unref(abi)

	That's very flakey ;-) I'd avoid that at all costs.

	I suspect there is some other problem somewhere; if you can point me to
the right place in LXR to poke at your code, perhaps I can see it.
Ultimately creating reference leaks is easy, and finding them is
devilishly difficult, so ... it's worth getting it right first time.

	Regards,

		Michael.