Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 16:11, MArk Finlay wrote:
> So yeah, I really don't see how we can loose. Users who like to horde
> everything in one massive folder can do that if they like, but I don't
> think that many will choose to work that way once they've been
> introduced to $home as desktop. Why keep a users files one click away
> from them when they can be immediately on hand?
>
> Also, to me interpolability with kde isn't a huge issue as it takes
> about 10 seconds to configure kde to use ~/ as desktop.
>
> It's late, so I'm not going to waffle further - that can wait till
> tomorrow :) I will bid you adeu with the slogan for the Campaign for
> $HOME as desktop: "Unbreak the Desktop and Free your mind!"

Well I like the idea of ~/Desktop instead of ~/.gnome-desktop.  I do
however use $HOME as my desktop and would be real pissed to see that go
away.  Other users I've introduced $HOME as desktop however don't always
like it and so ~/Desktop works well for them.  Everyone has complained
about .gnome-desktop until I told them how to make a link to ~/Desktop
and then they were happy.  Note this is mostly because .gnome-desktop
"appears" inaccessible from Nautilus unless dot files are turned on.