Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 17:45, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 15May2003 02:24PM (-0500), Shaun McCance wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 13:24, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > * KDE also uses ~/Desktop, and they put some special files in there. We
> > > need to examine how these interact with Nautilus and how we can avoid
> > > confusing the user with these files.
> >
> > Mac OS X also uses ~/Desktop, which could be an issue for anybody in an
> > environment where /home is an NFS mount.  I know there's not a whole lot
> > we can do to inter-operate, as Apple probably isn't interested.  But it
> > would be nice to do something intelligent with any weird Apple stuff in
> > ~/Desktop, even if it's just intelligently ignoring it.
>
> Mac OS X does not put any weird stuff in Desktop (well, besides the
> weird stuff it might put in any directory for resource forks and
> Finder metadata, but those are all dotfiles).
>
> Mounted volumes are all virtual in-memory objects, the way Alex has
> made it work in Nautilus.

Fair enough.  Note that my comment was more along the lines of "There
might be a problem here" rather than "There is a problem here".  I just
jumped over to a friend's Mac to look, and it seems you're quite right
about what OS X puts on the desktop by default.  However, plenty of
people seem to put aliases on their desktop, and I don't have the
slightest idea how those will behave in Nautilus.  Frankly, I don't
understand how aliases even work, which relegates this entire email to
the status of uninformed rambling.

--
Shaun