Re: Major change in desktop handling

fre 2003-05-16 klockan 15.42 skrev Abe Fettig:
> On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 22:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:11:09AM +0100, MArk Finlay wrote:
> > > If were going to have this argument then I think that now is as
> > > good a time as any. One thing we don't want to do is to migrate to
> > > ~/Desktop and then to ~/
> >
> > My point was kind of that we already had the argument a few times. ;-)
>
> I don't know if this will make any difference, but I just have to say
> it:
>
> Please DO SOME USABILITY TESTING on this!!!

First I must say that the changes Alex has done is a great improvement,
~/Desktop is alot better than ~/.gnome-desktop (And I think we all agree
on this).

The discussion have however turned into the usual $HOME as desktop long
threaded discussion with no end. And since we are never going to agree
on this, I suggest the following:

1. File and fix bugs to impove $HOME as Desktop - It's not currently
ready for primetime (You must be able to hide dirs, it is confusing that
some dirs just appears).

2. When $HOME is ready for primetime, a usability testing should be
done, as suggested by Abe.

3. Make a decition based on the usability testing and stand by it. One
of the current problem is that there are no formal decission on this, so
people pro $HOME as desktop (like me...) tend to take every chance to
start a long thread about it...

//Snaggen