$HOME vs. ~/Desktop ( was Re: Major change in desktop handling )

Very good arguments from Mark in favour of $HOME as desktop.

I'd like to add it will also remove the big confusion between home and
desktop ( gnome file selector, 'Home' icon on desktop which shows the
Desktop directory ). Why not make gnome easier to use?

This also clears the l10n problem - no folder 'Desktop' at all.

Please look (again) at these screenshots:
http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/abstract/mydesktop.png
http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/abstract/fileselector.gif
http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/abstract/file.png

All applications now use $HOME as default to save files. You need only 1
double-click to go to the proper place ( Documents, Images... ), rather
than going to Desktop/Documents.

The biggest problem with $HOME as desktop are other *visible* files.
Evolution is moving to .evolution ( that can be done in time for gnome
2.4 ). Other applications with hidden files in home are moving to
~/.etc/ . These are trivial changes.

About KDE using ~/Desktop. Both kde and nautilus can be changed to use
that or $HOME, but the default is important. Distributions will choose
one or another and we'll see which is nicer.

--
Marius Andreiana
SoluĊ£ii informatice bazate pe Linux / Linux-based IT solutions