Re: nautilus and mounts

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 04:46, Dave Camp wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 14:11, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > So the 2 questions are (paraphrasing Owen on these ones)
> > - how would an app best go about opening a nautilus window if nautilus
> > is already running?
>
> Generally by running 'nautilus <uri>'

Quick question - shouldn't that be "nautilus --no-desktop <uri>". If
nautilus hasn't been started yet (ie. hasn't been started by Gnome),
shouldn't it avoid suddenly covering the desktop with a window? I use
nautilus with a simple rootless Cygwin XFree86 environment. My X session
consists of "metacity &" and "gnome-panel" and find that it's annoying
that anytime I try to run nautilus it suddenly covers the "root" with a
massive window.

> > - should we nuke the open-new-window code from nautilus and move it to
> > magicdev?
>
> I'm not a big fan of windows opening when devices are mounted, so this
> wouldn't really bother me.  I kinda think that nautilus windows
> shouldn't be opened unless the user interacts with nautilus, by clicking
> the device icon or whatever.

Personally, I agree. Having the icon appear on the desktop is a good
enough indication to me that the volume has been mounted and is just a
double-click away. On the other hand, if I'm working in a terminal and
find that Nautilus suddenly popped up in front of me, it can be quite
annoying to move from the keyboard to the mouse to close it.

--
Peter Harvey <pah06 uow edu au>
SITACS, University of Wollongong