Volume icons and file-selector [ was Major change in desktop handling]

Il gio, 2003-05-15 alle 20:24, Alexander Larsson ha scritto:

> The new system works very differently. The desktop icons (trash, home
> and volume icons) are all in-memory objects. They are implemented like
> "virtual files" and put in the desktop view by some deep magic. This
> gets rid of all the problems of the old system, and allows a lot of nice
> things. Plus it should be faster.

Are there any abilities to put a link to mounted volume in ~/Desktop
directory too?

I mean: OK, desktop stuffs are in ~/Desktop directory (I don't agree,
but it's ok), so if I want save a file from OpenOffice.org Writer to
desktop I can choose the ~/Destkop directory in OOo selector. It's
works, It's more simple then ~/.gnome-desktop.

Second scenario: I want to save my document in floppy. I mount it using
desktop popup menu and the floppy icon appears on desktop. Now I switch
to OOo Writer, I choose save as, I see ~/Desktop in OOo file selector
and I think "mmhh... floppy icon is on desktop, so if I choose ~/Desktop
I can access to floppy"... no, wrong, sorry, you lose, game over.

IMHO to have a ~/Desktop/floppy folder/link/whatever when floppy is
mounted can help.

I don't think it's a logic idea[1], but it's useful.

[1] I think desktop is an abstract place, an user's view of computer,
don't an ~ visible subfolder.
IMHO file selectors should start from desktop too, choosing between home
or mounted volumes. This is more logic.
Can someone to put this idea somewhere in freedesktop.org and use it in
GNOME, KDE, mozilla, OOo and so on?
--
Think bigger

			My uncle