Re: $HOME as desktop

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 09:18, Darryl Rees wrote:

> BTW, having supported a lot of MSWin users I know they 'lose' documents
> all the time, and accept it as part of working with computers.
> End-users feel they don't 'understand' where their files go, and
> where/what the desktop is.

I feel their pain, I often lose documents on Windows too :)  However,
that's largely because the default place to save documents on Windows is
the "My Documents" folder, not the "Desktop" folder... and some apps are
pretty bullish about saving stuff there even if you saved it somewhere
else the last time :/

On the Mac, the default place to save stuff is the Desktop folder, so
when you save a document it instantly appears on your desktop.  I don't
know if that's part of the plan for migrating everyone to the ~/Desktop
model, but I've never lost a document on the Mac yet...

Cheeri,
Calum.