nautilus 2.2.1 (gnome 2.2.0; rh9) theme change - how/where?

I've searched/posted on Usenet for two weeeks now, checked recent
nautilus archives, took a stab at bugzilla and still have no idea how to
fix my problem.

Nautilus help says I can change its themes.  Opening "File Management
Preferences", help says I'll find an "appearance" panel from which I can
change nautilus themes.  I find no "appearance" dialog anywhere within
nautilus (or anywhere else to change nautilus themes).  Using
nautilus-file-management-properties I find four tabs, none with any
mention/indication of changing the theme: "Views", "Behavior", "Icon
Captions", and "Preview".

I d/l a couple late-2002 nautilus themes (not just icons) from art.gnome
(no one replied to my mail asking the same thing I'm asking here) and no
matter where I put them (~/.themes, ~/.icons, /usr/share/themes,
/usr/share/nautilus, /usr/share/pixmaps/nautilus with the Bluecurve dir)
tar'd or not, I find no way to inform nautilus to use something other
than Bluecurve.  gnome-theme-manager doesn't list them (in the first
panel or anywhere under "Details...").

Before I start flailing about by trying newer revs of nautilus can
someone tell me how to (or if) I can change themes for nautilus
2.2.1/gnome 2.2.0/rh9?

Thanks...

Mike
--