Re: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:19:34AM +0100, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > > Yes, I'm willing to push that option instead if this one
> > hits a wall.
> > > The only obstacle to Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down that I know of now is
> > the use of
> > > Ctrl-Up/Down for accessibility focus moving.
> >
> > Application-level triple-key combos are quite pointless. They
> > make sense for environmental operations because there's no
> > global unique menubar.
>
> I don't think I can parse these sentences. Why are they both pointless and
> "make sense". What are "environmental operations"? Is a "global unique
> menubar" a Mac-style top menu?

I said, "quite pointless," or, in other words, "to a great degree pointless."
After that I noted where triple-key combos are not pointless. Environmental
operations are those that pertain to the entire environment such as switching
workspaces and logging out. Call them "global," if that's your preference.
Yes, the Mac menubar is global and unique.

> > Most menu operations should be three keys away:
> >   Alt+MenuAccessKey ItemAccessKey
> > E.g., Alt+F A for _File -> Save _As....
> >
> > Alt+arrow combos aren't really appropriate for spatial mode,
> > as they are
> > either irrelevant or redundant. Alt+Left and Alt+Right are irrelevant.
> > Alt+Down is redundant with just pressing Enter. Only Alt+Up
> > for opening
> > the parent folder would be relevant and not redundant. That
> > can be relegated to the menus.
>
> Have you used a classic Mac? It's very natural to move to a folder with the
> arrow keys, and then just use a modifier to open it. You can move all around
> the file system without ever taking your fingers off a few keys or using the
> mouse. Enter is on the same side of the keyboard as the arrow keys, so you
> tend to take your hands off the arrow keys to press it.

I have used a classic Mac, but mostly by mouse. When I'm using the arrow
keys, I reach the Enter key with my index finger. The motion is like that
to hit 'Y' or '7' from the home row of a QWERTY keyboard.

> I could use a Mac far more quickly via keyboard combinations alone than any
> other operating system with the keys or the mouse.
>
> Murray Cumming
> www.murrayc.com
> murrayc usa net

Ave atque vale,