Re: Localisation - and Wastebasket

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 11:49, Jan wrote:
> How does nautilus handle localisation? I imagine there must be a
> configuration file somewhere, but I can't find it, and I can't find any
> real documentation either.

It uses gettext like any other unix application. See "info gettext".

> Another thing - I normally use a British English locale, and it annoys me
> shitless that there's this thing called a 'Wastebasket' on my desktop. In
> my view it should be called a 'Dustbin', and since we are in happy Linux
> land, this is of course no problem: you just go into ~/.gnome-desktop and
> change the file 'Wastebasket' to 'Dustbin' and edit it too to change the
> 'Name=' appropriately. This works fine until next time, where it gets
> changed back.

The en_GB translation of nautilus translated "Trash" to "Wastebasket".
If you don't agree with that translation you need to speak with the
translators for en_GB.

The changing back of the name is due to the way desktop icons where
handled in gnome 2.2. In gnome 2.4 you should just be able to rename the
icon like any other file.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an old-fashioned voodoo romance novelist fleeing from a secret government
programme. She's a beautiful motormouth advertising executive from beyond the
grave. They fight crime!