Double-click (mis)behavior

Dear friends,

After noticing some strangeness on how nautilus interpreted some of my doubleclicks, I decided to test GNOME's general doubleclick behavior a bit more deeply. The results follow:

Below, when I mention "quickly as a doubleclick" means that your clicks must be done inside the doubleclick timeout.

NAUTILUS - ICON VIEW AND DESKTOP

- Select an item. Now, quickly as a doubleclick, click on the blank
space and then click on the item you've selected. Despite the distance, nautilus would interpret the click as a doubleclick on that item.

- Select varius items. Hold Ctrl. Now, quickly as a doubleclick, try to
DEselect some entries. Some of the clicks would be interpreted as
doubleclicks and the items will not be DEselected. Note that the inverse
process (selecting quickly as a doubleclick) works as expected.

These tests were done in Nautilus 2.4.1 (debian unstable archives). In some older versions (2.2.x), the behavior was even worse (ie. it opened all the selected items on the second example).

GEDIT - TEXT EDITING WIDGET

- Type FOO and BAR. Now, quickly as a doubleclick, click on FOO and on BAR. It will interpret the second click as a doubleclick on BAR.

GTK FILE SELECTION DIALOG

- Create ONE folder named "FOO BAR". Now, quickly as a doubleclick, click on FOO and then on BAR. Again, it will interpret the second click as a doubleclick and then enter that folder. This behavior is not completely wrong but demonstrates how the entire doubleclick thing is implemented in GTK/GNOME (or X?).

CONCLUSION

It seems that GTK/GNOME applications interpret doubleclicks by checking
the currently selected item instead of the distance between the two
clicks. I can't tell if this is a bad/wrong thing but it certainly deserves some discussion.

Any opinions?

Thanks for your attention,

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9127-0597)

.- GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMACAO LTDA :: www.gs2.com.br
|- IT Infrastructure :: Security :: Embedded systems :: Linux
`- Olinda, Brazil - +55 81 3492-7777 - negocios gs2 com br