Re: Volume handling proposal

> Three new concepts are introduced:
>
> First concept is a virtual location called "Computer", which is a
> "root" of all the volumes in the system, much like "My Computer" in
> WinXP and "Computer" in MacOSX.

Actually Desktop is the root on Windows. My Computer is under that and
contains the lettered drives and Control Panel. The Network (Network
Neighborhood or My Network Places) is directly under Desktop as well, as
is My Documents. Things like Printers and Fonts are under the Control
Panel. Network shared printers appear both in the Printers folder and
under the computer that is sharing the printer in the Network folder. I
think with XP shortcuts to these printers and share also appear directly
in My Network Places if the "crawl network for open shares" option is
enabled (as it is by default IIRC).

Is the intent to make this computer centric (the computer contains a thing
called a desktop which is displayed on the screen and things can be both
in the computer and on the desktop) or desktop centric (desktop IS the
computer and all local and remote resources are somehere on the desktop or
in a folder on the desktop)?

--
Chris Altmann - altmann rcsis com