RE: Volume handling proposal

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 14:59, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Paolo Borelli [mailto:pborelli katamail com]
> > > With the new file selector, maybe we can start making the desktop
> > > directory the primary storage area for files?  The cycle is
> > really ugly,
> > > and will be an instant screw-up for the spatial file
> > manager model.  The
> > > Desktop also has the benefit of being totally user-managed,
> > which makes
> > > it a better place for them to be putting files.
> > >

> > I admit I don't use ~=Desktop so I may be biased, but I don't
> > like this.
> > Even if it is more elegant in theory, I think it has drawbacks in
> > practice: the principal of which is that the desktop doesn't have
> > scrolling bars, so what happens when you have more files than those
> > which fit on the desktop?
>
> Folders.

I know. That's obviously also what I do now: ~/downloads, ~/projects,
etc...

The point is that AFAICS Dave is proposing to default at saving files on
the desktop: what happens when the naive user who doesn't organize his
files in folders accumulates 100 files on the desktop?

Or ar you saying that we should have a ~/Desktop/Documents folder by
default and save files into it?
To me also that is not good: first it is yet another thing managed by
the system that is put on the desktop, second it would be more painful
to go to those documents by other means (eg the shell) respect to
~/Documents...

ciao
	paolo