Re: Volume handling proposal

Tuomas Kuosmanen writes:
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 03:07, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
Evolution directory is going to become ~/.evolution so it will be
hidden.

Yeah but you still have the problem of various legacy folders like the old evo folder if people are using older versions. The whole reason for not using Home as the desktop was to avoid exposing users to various implementation detail folders that certain impolite applications dump into home. (I believe acrobat is guilty of this too). IT just seems overall better to me to avoid the potential problems. Home is a fairly unixy concept anyway. That said. I think a user visible mail folder on the desktop that had an evo style mail view and allowed you to interact with your mail like any other file (ie allowed you to delete mail items by dragging them to the nautilus trash can etc.) would be very cool.

Having desktop the default save location both encourages you to organize
your files in a smart way, and also makes it easy to keep your files in
order, since you can quickly sort stuff around.
Plus I tend to sort stuff by task into "piles" on different parts of the
desktop, so I know one project is on top right corner and another is in
the middle. It's a nice addition and makes it easy to later just create
a folder for that stuff in my Work-dir and just drop the whole pile of
stuff there. The desktop can really be a lot more than just a pretty
wallpaper..

All I can say is amen!!! :)
dave