Re: volumes mark 2

Hi Alex,

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 14:41, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> The hard part about such directories like this is that they need to be
> translated, and the apps using them need to find them, but the apps
> may be running in different locales etc. Furthermore, it would be nice
> if the directories could be renamed and things would still work. One
> way this could be done is to place a ".docdir" file in
> ~/Desktop/Documents, and look for that when locating the
> directory.

	I must confess to being slightly confused about what is proposed; here.
What does the ~/Desktop/Documents/.docfile contain (if anything), and
how is it located ? Does this entail doing a stat inside each potential
'Dokumants' or whatever sub-directory ?

	Is it sensible (from a multi-lingual sysadmin POV) to have a static
~/Documents or whatever - then translate that by various magic (perhaps
via the metafile mechanism ?) [1]. Of course - that relies on
retro-fitting a suitably powerful file-selector to all interesting
applications to get a uniform feel; but this is surely not such a
difficult problem for OO.o, mozilla, evo, etc.

	Or have I misunderstood completely ?; either way an expansion would be
appreciated,

	Thanks,

		Michael.

[1] - interested to see that it seems all metafiles now live in
~/.nautilus instead of the current directory if possible.
--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot