Re: [patch] select pattern

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 02:45:50PM -0400, Dave Camp wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 23:09, James Willcox wrote:
<snip>
> > +       gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (GTK_DIALOG (dialog)->vbox),
> > box);
> > +       response = gtk_dialog_run (GTK_DIALOG (dialog));
> > +
> > +       if (response == GTK_RESPONSE_OK) {
>
> This dialog probably shouldn't be modal (correct me if I'm wrong).

Every cancellable dialog and every alert should be modal. This one should
only be modal for its parent window, not all of Nautilus as gtk_dialog_run()
would make it. To avoid modality use a utility window, a toolbar, or some
other modeless idiom.

Again, I recommend a toolbar. The control (a single-line entry field) fits
well into a toolbar and avoids screen clutter. Some other user input
interpretations or toolbar designs could be used to avoid globbing.
See web search engines for input interpretation examples. Another toolbar
design is the design by Cooper for the Softek Storage Manager shown on
p. 205 of About Face 2.0. See my previous email for more about the toolbar
design.

Cheers,
Greg