Re: [Usability] Re: Nautilus Sendto -- opportunities for generalisation

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 14:09, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 14:50 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> > Hi Edd,

> > > Bluetooth has two ways of doing file transfer.  OBEX FTP, which would be
> > > handled with a gnome-vfs method (not yet implemented), and OBEX PUSH,
> > > which is "beaming" (implemented in gnome-obex-send).
> >
> > But why bother the user with this distinction? If the user wants to send
> > a file to his phone, does it matter *how* this is performed under the
> > surface?
>
> For a start, it's not just phones.  It's any bluetooth device. And yes,
> it does make a difference as the receiving device handles it differently
> too and does bother the user with the distinction.
>
> To reiterate, they are quite different operations:
>
> PUSH (what I'm calling "send to"), which chucks a file into an inbox on
> the remote device.  This is akin to sending email.
>
> FTP, which works like normal FTP - so the user gets to decide where the
> file should go, etc.

How about a single menu item "Send to Bluetooth Device", which starts a
dialog with a tree-view?

The top levels of the tree are the detected Bluetooth devices. The first
branch of each capable device is an "Inbox" (or other familiar
identifying name) and the second branch "Device folders" (closed by
default.) The relevant procedure is then activated as the next step - if
they choose the inbox, it's all done. If they expand the "Device
folders" branch the FTP session can start to populate the next level.

-Kevin