Re: Nautilus hang then crash

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 09:31, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> Hi
>
> i noticed nautilus began to hang and then just crash taking the desktop
> (and whatever work i had open) with it. i'm very new to linux and had no
> idea what was happening as there didn't seem to be a pattern or sequence
> of events that led to the dump.
>
> i have since noticed that it hangs (and then dumps everything) when a
> mount which is open or was open at some stage in nautilus disappears
> without being properly unmounted. this has occurred for both mounting of
> nfs and samba shares and also cds. basically if the windows box is shut
> down or the other linux box is shutdown before they are unmounted -->
> dump!!
>
> ok, i think i understand how this happens (even win explorer can dump
> when it loses a network share) but the tight coupling of nautilus to the
> desktop dumps everything else also (as can win explorer dumping kill the
> desktop).
>
> is there any way to recover from such a crash - some sort of work-around
> to this sort of thing happening that could prevent nautilus from dumping
> or indeed a fix to the situation when it does happen. currently i have
> to ctrl-alt-f1 to get a prompt, login as root and reboot the machine -
> again, newbie here i'm sure there is some way to kill the user's session
> at this point and then i can login again or something (something better
> even!!)
>
> anyway, i hope i'm clear enough about the problem.
> any suggestions would be appreciated.

Of course we should try to fix all sorts of crashes. But when nautilus
crashes despite our best tries its supposed to be restarted
automatically by the session manager. I have no idea why this is not
happening to you.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish bohemian gentleman spy from the Mississippi delta. She's a
manipulative hypochondriac cab driver with a song in her heart and a spring in
her step. They fight crime!