Re: Feedback: Six Nautilus annoyances

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 11:42, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> Argh, I knew I was forgetting something... So, there are three more, I swear
> I wanted to write about these too but I forgot earlier... :o
>
> 7. When I am on list or icon view, I would like to press a letter key, e.g.
> "k" and have Nautilus to navigate me to the first word that starts with a
> "k". Nautilus already does this. But when I keep pressing "k" I would like
> Nautilus to get me to the next filename that starts with a k, which is
> something Nautilus doesn't do atm. I guess I could do a "k" and then a TAB,
> but unfortunately because of the following annoyance #8, this is not good
> enough, because first you need to change a key to do the exact same action
> and that's bad from usability/accessibility POV (from k to TAB) and second,
> Nautilus arranges files according to casing, and so the file "Kool.txt"
> might be miles away from "kate.pdf", so TAB is just not good enough. I was
> keep having this issue with my /usr/include folder trying to find a file I
> needed, and the whole usage I described above was so darn annoying...

Thats not how typeahead works in nautilus. Pressing "kk" would get you
to the first file starting with "kk". If you want to go to "Kool.txt",
press "ko".

> 8. Please allow to arrange items case-insensitive. I see no reason why
> Kool.txt should be before alpha.doc. Yes, unix systems are case sensitive,
> but this only means that kool.txt is different from Kool.txt not that
> Kool.txt should show before all "k" file names or even worse, before all a*
> and b* words etc. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why the privilige? :P

This means your locale setup is broken.

> 9. When I right click on a file and say "Rename", I usually just need to
> change a small portion of the file name, not the whole name. So, usually, I
> just need to rename mypicture26743.jpg to mypicture4.jpg or something, just
> small edits. So, what I instictively do, is press the right arrow key to the
> selected filename for renaming, trying to unselect the file and place my
> cursor just at the end of the previously partly selected filename (between 3
> and the dot . in my example above). But Nautilus instead of doing that, it
> places my cursor just before the letter "m" in  the beginning of the word.
> If I instead press the left arrow key, it places my cursor at the very right
> side of the selected filename! In other words, the cursor placement is not
> correct. I want to press the right arrow key to go to the right, and the
> left arrow  to the left, but nautilus does the opposite atm. This is pretty
> annoying because it surprises the user...

This is strange, because it *does* have the right behaviour if you
select the region yourself. Ah, it was just selecting in the wrong
direction. Fixed in cvs.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal vegetarian librarian looking for a cure to the poison coursing
through his veins. She's a supernatural punk opera singer from aristocratic
European stock. They fight crime!