Re: Feedback: Six Nautilus annoyances

El mar, 10-02-2004 a las 06:21, Alexander Larsson escribió:

> The reason we use $home as cwd when launching things is that that makes
> it the default saving location for most app fileselectors. It also makes
> relative pathname files written by the app (including core files) end up
> in $home (instead of /usr/bin where it would otherwise end up for most
> apps).

That does make a lot of sense, when apps are launched *from the gnome
menu*!!!  Not when apps are launched via file associations or shell
scripts.

> > 2. Almost all of the times, when I have two Nautilus windows open and I
> > right click on a file on the first window and tell it to "Copy", and then I
> > go to the other window to tell it to Paste it via the context menu, the
> > Paste option is greyed out. I have to *reload* the second nautilus window in
> > order to let it know that an item is ready for pasting. I find this behavior
> > very weak for a file manager, because cut/copy/paste is what it supposed to
> > be doing *well*.
>
> You don't actually need to reload the window to make the paste menu
> work, selecting a file is enough. But it is rather lame, yes.
>
> The underlying reason for this is a problem with X11. There is no way to
> get told when the owner of a selection changes, so we can't update the
> sensitivity of the paste menu. The fix for this is in the XFIXES X
> extension, but that hasn't ended up in a widely distributed Xserver yet.
> I added some code to cvs that makes it notice changes from inside
> nautilus, so the basic cut/paste cycle in nautilus should work better
> now. It can still be confused if other X clients modify the clipboard
> though.
>
> > 3. Please provide a way to have Scripts on /usr/share/somewhere, so more
> > users in the system can try out scripts automatically. The Dropline Gnome
> > distribution wanted to do that, but they didn't find a way for Nautilus to
> > recognize any other location for scripts other than in the ~ so they shipped
> > with none.
>
> The exact behaviour of scripts need to be though about some more.
> Directory merging always creates problems and complexities, so I'm not
> sure we want that. I'm not even sure we want to expose scripts as-is in
> a way that everyone is forced to see them.

Perhaps two menu items "See scripts available for all users" and "Go to
my personal scripts folder", in a shorter fashion, can do it?

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net