Default desktop items

Hi!

I wonder how the default desktop items are created by nautilus?
I would also be obliged if anyone could explain how to change the icons that are created upon the first session startup and how to add icons to a user's desktop when installing some software.

I tried to add a desktop item to ~/Desktop and that nearly worked except that the item was aligned to the very left and thus looked really weird. Can the default position of the item be somehow changed or what should I change in the nautilus code so that icons would be padded by e.g. 64 pixels from the screen edges by default?

I've noticed that the desktop items' positions are saved to .nautilus/metadata/*.xml files, but I suppose write there directly is not a good idea at all.

Thanks in advance,

Andrey

--
Andrey Tarasov