Re: new mime detection approach

El jue, 29-01-2004 a las 20:04, Fabio Gomes escribió:
> > Please let's get away from file extensions!
>
> File extensions and sniffing will not go away in favor of EA.

Never said that.  I said that they will be useful only if the file
hasn't been  associated yet with a MIME type.

>  EAs only
> _store_ the information. This still needs a detection method.

Only the first time a file is newly detected.

>  Regardless
> of the way you store the MIME type information (or don't store at all),
> you will need to detect this information first. And currently the only
> way to do this with files that come into your computer is
> sniffing+suffix.
>
> Your "get away from file extensions" is completely pointless.

The Mac OS succeeded in not using extensions at all.  The user had to
manually set the file type and creator.  What I'm proposing here goes
beyond that.  Dump the file extensions and the sniffing as the MAIN
method of determining the file type.  Yes, use it, but once it's been
detected, tag the file with the MIME type, so it never again is used.
Plus, have every app that creates files tag its created files with the
correct mime type, so our reliance in detection and sniffing is much
less.

You should have read the entire mail first.

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net