hidden files in Nautilus

Hi,
I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the way Nautilus shows hidden
(.*) files. Currently, if one wants to see hidden files in Nautilus, one
has to go to preferences, check "show hidden files", look at the files
you need, then go back and turn this option off (few people need this
option on permanently).

My suggestion is: instead of this option, if the current directory has
hidden files/subdirectories, Nautilus should show (in the icon view) a
special icon with caption "(number) hidden directories + (number) hidden
files)"; clicking on this icon should show all hidden files/directories
(and the usual, non-hidden ones, too) and put a button "hide hidden
files" (or something to this effect) on the toolbar.

As an extra benefit, this will alert people to the fact that there are
some hidden files/directories, even if they do not want to know what
exactly files there are. May be helpful when you are wondering why you
get "not enough space" message when copying to a floppy and Nautilus
shows no files on the floppy (answer: because of .Trash)

Of course, this is just an idea - and I fully understand that many
people never want to be reminded of hidden files, ever. Yet, may be
worth considering.

Sasha
PS. When replying, please CC me: I am not on the list.