Re: Mega patch to make spatial nautilus rock!

(IMHO juggling between left click mode in browser and different
left click mode in spatial is frankly ridiculous usablity/consistency
and makes it all rather noddy and geeky compared to my slicker
alternative).

You assume it is slicker.

Of course it is. Going to a separate app with different look and feel
for some occasional browsing is really clumsy and reflects bad design.
Theres simply no excuse for not having such basic functionality in
whatever app you use for the file manager.

It feels schizophrenic to me (am I spatial,
am I browser?).

Does that matter? I mean when I do file management stuff I simply use
whats best or most efficient - I see no reason to stop and think am I
spatial or browser!

I see one big problem. In windows 3.1 they had a spatial mode. As it did not function very well I was relieved that in windows 95 microsoft provided a way to open new folders in the same window.
I was relieved to get rid of all those windows and switched to the new mode. Because of this option I never understood why spatial should be an advantage and thought it to be quite useless.

So when you provide the option to open in same window with left click most spatial beginners will set it that way and never learn why spatial is a good choice at all. As I have read a lot about spatial and learned the positive aspects I would like the option of opening in the same window. I would use it when it really makes sense. But most beginners would use it all the time. That is why I vote for not providing this option.

In the same time I must admit that the current split between browser and spatial is not very good. The apps are too different for people to feel at home with both and switching them where it is apropriate. Probably there will instead be two fractions. One that always use browse and one that always use spatial.

My solution to this problem would be to try and add the necessary additions to spatial to cope with deep hierarchies. It is a clear case that you don´t want folder windows for every folder in a 10 level hierarchy on your desktop. Even the option of open a new window and close the old is not that useful in that case.

What I think we need is a separate tree window where you navigate the directories and open a spatial folder when you are at your destination. I have no current screenshot as example on hand but I am sure you guys can imagine what I mean. This tree window should open with a fast acessible button on the panel and a keyboard shortcut.

The second thing I would provide is a path entry field in the panel. There you can type paths like in bash with tab (or another key) completion. With enter key you could then open a spatial window. I have provided a small page describing this feature on my website.

http://www.liquid-reality.de/main/interests/nautilus_nav

I would be interested in what you think about these ideas.  If the separate tree concept is interesting I will create a screenshot and some explanation on my site.

--

Christian Schneider