Desktop mountpoint icons

Ok folks I'd like to know how to work with the .volume icons shown when
you mount a device / file system. (I found out the .volume extension
using a nautilus script that simply shows you the values of all the
NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_* environment variables as when you cd into ~/Desktop
the icons are non-existent.)

More precisely I'd like to know the following:

1) is there a way to prevent these from being made? ie: I don't want any
of them on the desktop at all.

2) is there any data about the mountpoint that I can have access to
either via a script or by writing a gnome app? ie: I'd like to get at
the actual device and mountpoint names so that I can remount them with
different options.

Any help regarding these mysterious and not-really-there icons would be
greatly appreciated.

--
Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke opendoorsoftware com>
Open Door Software Inc.