Re: Connect to Server dialog

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 13:55 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> > The things I wanted to improve most were the
> > 	Folder: None	<-- This is not so obvious what's going on
>
> I agree but not all services require a mount point so it could be
> insensitive/hidden rather than just saying "None". Incidentally it could
> be renamed "Folder Mount Point" to make it clear that it is a mount
> (there might be a better word than mount here - Folder Attachment
> Point?, Folder Link Point? etc)

This is complicating things.  We need to express that technical fact
that this is a "Mount Point", Folder is an acceptable term that is
mutually understood by technical and non-technical.

> > 	Anonymous FTP	<-- Needs some improvement
>
> I thought about what Calum said. The best I could come up with is
> "Public FTP" and "Private FTP" services.

Good suggestions, not sure if Private FTP would be confusing for someone
connecting to their own (or companies) FTP site.  Perhaps "Public FTP"
and "FTP"... hmm.  I'm a little worried about moving away from what
public documentation might already have regarding to Anonymous FTP.  Not
that I'm against improving it, but even AOL Help [1] uses the term
Anonymous.  My concern is that if instructions say one thing and ours
doesn't say that same thing, we'll have some confusion.  Obviously there
will be lots of exceptions to this since we can't control what other
peoples instructions say, however I think Anonymous might be the
accepted and documented term.

> > 	Password Later?	<-- A hint that the password will be asked for
> > 				or just integrating the key-ring manager
> It would be nice to have it all as one dialog but if key-ring is a
> separate dialog then it only needs to pop up if it doesn't have the
> password already stored (of course what happens if the password has
> changed? Might be good idea to have option in dialog to override
> key-ring if necessary - a "use key-ring setting for password" checkbox
> in the dialog, perhaps?)

I think that's complicating things again.  Signaling that the password
will be asked for later is most likely the best option.  Adding extra
options to this dialog will make it so we will start having lots of
hidden or insensitive fields.

This discussion should probably get off the nautilus list now and
perhaps move to usability or something.

Cheers,
~ Bryan

[1] http://help.channels.aol.com/article.adp?catId=4&sCId=401&sSCId=4013&articleId=182951