Re: CD Writing Proposal

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:42:09AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> * The placement of nautilus-cd-burner in the application menu. I'd
> really like nautilus-cd-burner to be an integrated part of the system,
> so that writing cds is as natural with the file manager as copying a
> file. This is hard, but totally punting it and calling it an app isn't a
> nice solution. And anyway, if an app in the menu launches a window
> manager window (which hopefully users doesn't think of as an "app") that
> might be confusing.

Having a Place for burning is not one bit closer to a 'natural' feel
than exposing it in the Applications menu (IMHO).

If a user searches the Applications menu for a cd burning app (what is
to be expected), it wouldn't be too bad if he finds one.
That doesn't say much about the level of integration. File Roller is in
there, but otherwise feels like a part of general file management.
On the other hand, accessing functionality in an 'inline' way should
be encouraged, whereby inclusion in Applications menu is rather
disadvantageous.

CD burning can not be as 'natural' as copying a file. You could only
get close to it by representing inserted blank mediums on the desktop
and allowing to drag files/folders onto the icon (or into the associated
window). A dialog might allow to cancel the operation and offer some
settings (already more complicated than just coying). But burning would
have to start right after confirmation.

Because otherwise you need to have an extra layer, that allows to
create/edit a selection of stuff to be burned. Using a window associated
to the medium for this would break the whole concept, because showing
content that will only realy be the content after a special operation
(burning) happens nowhere else and is not easy to understand.

But the direct drag'n'drop mechanism could work nicely in combination
with a filetype for selections. Like a folder, but without affecting the
physical location of referenced files. Idealy it wouldn't need fixed
paths like with symlinks.

Selection files would make it quite easy (interaction wise) to offer
a 'split to fit' function: Collect everything you want to burn and
use a menu option, enter target size: the selection gets split up
into several that fit on 1 medium each.

---
Thorsten Wilms