UI Mockup Round 2

Okay I've read all the replies up until now and have carefully
considered each opinion (even the ones that made me feel bad :-) ). It
seems no one objects to the idea of having quicklinks/bookmarks/places
in the left pane, which seems a good start. I don't know if it was
obvious or not but that's what the top section of the left pane in my
mockup was; A place where people can add their own links (at the moment
it just shows the 'default' ones). Where people start to digress is
whether those links should be root nodes or not. I think an excellent
solutions to this is to make it an option for the  link to be a root
node or not. (right click -> Add Link... -> Add Link Dialog with a "make
root node" check box). What do you guys think? Also if the links have
the ability to be rooted then we probably shouldn't put them in a
separate section of the left pane (which is good because I don't think
we have a widget that would make a good divider anyway).

And now the biggie... The location bar. It's obvious people like the
text entry version. And people also like the path buttons version. So
here is my idea (Based on Eugenia's idea of using a customized toolbar
like in Epiphany). We should have 3 toolbars to choose from the "Back,
Forward, Up, ..." toolbar, the location toolbar (text entry version),
and the path buttons toolbar. The user can then choose what combination
of the 3 possible toolbars he wants. I have 2 mockups to demonstrate
this.
http://www.ethanzimmerman.com/images/nautilus_toolbars_style_1.png
http://www.ethanzimmerman.com/images/nautilus_toolbars_style_2.png
What do you guys think of this? Oh and I didn't change the way the left
pane looks partially because there's not much of a visual change in this
new version, but mostly because I'm lazy :-)

And, lastly... Alan, I didn't understand you comment so you might want
to rephrase it and repost it if you feel it's important.

-ethan